The first time I heard the call, the time wasn't right. The second time I heard the call, the place wasn't right. The third time I heard the call, I couldn't make an excuse to avoid really listening to what I was hearing.
For some mysterious reason, and over the course of about two years, God's voice in my life has grown from a whisper to a shout — and it was the recent shout that stopped me suddenly and forced my wife and I to stop and listen. He made it clear to me: I want you to do this. And so, it was time for us to go to Scotland and begin my ninth year of post secondary studies.
The older I get—I just turned 29—the more I become of the opinion that if God is calling you to do something, you're going to do it sooner or later. Else, you're making the decision to swim upstream for your entire life. And I guess you can choose to swim upstream forever if you really feel like it, but what kind of life is that? Not a very good one, I'd say.
In that respect, I suppose it's appropriate that a person like me — someone who spends a significant amount of his time encouraging people to go on insane adventures that involve creative risks — would end up being called on an insane adventure of his own. So, this September, my wife and I will be living in Aberdeen, Scotland where I will begin an MTh in Theological Ethics and will likely continue, toward a PhD in Theological Ethics. This means a few things to me.
The first is that we're leaving what's familiar — we love our current home and it's going to strange being in a completely different city with a completely different culture. The second is that we're leaving what's comfortable — my job will once again become the job of a student, which means that the only payment I get will be the wealth of knowledge. That's why I've always said being a student is a great job (although it doesn't pay well). The third is that we're excited and sad at the same time — 85% of my wife and I are super elated at the idea of this adventure, while the other 15% is sad because we'll be very distant from family, friends, and work that we love.
And that's the thing... sooner or later all of us are going to be called on adventures like these, and we have to heed the call; give up what's familiar, leave behind what's comfortable, and go into a completely new territory where you're not exactly sure what will come of your actions but you know that wherever you end up, it'll be right. Because that's the way the God we follow works.
So... where are you being called?